LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Mark Hughes, the founder of Herbalife International, one of the world's leading distributors of herbal products, died of an accidental overdose after mixing alcohol with a "toxic level" of antidepressants, authorities said Friday.
Scott Carrier, of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office, said final autopsy results found that Hughes, 44, had high levels of both alcohol and an antidepressant in his blood.
The cause of Hughes' death recalls that of his mother.
Hughes' mother died of an accidental overdose of prescription diet pills when he was 18. He often cited her death as motivating him to succeed in the herbal pruducts industry -- to provide millions with products that were not available to his mother.
Carrier attributed the death to "alcohol-Deoxpin intoxication." Doexpin is an antidepressant, which Hughes was taking to "treat insomnia," the coroner said.
Hughes' blood-alcohol level was recorded at .21 percent. A "toxic level" of Doexpin was also found in his system at 2.1 micrograms per milliliter, Carrier said.
Hughes was found dead in his Malibu mansion May 21.
The initial autopsy, conducted on May 23, was inconclusive and required additional tests.
In February 1980, Hughes founded Herbalife International. It has since become one of the world's largest distributors of herbal products, with sales of about $1.7 billion annually.