As the old saying goes: you have to spend money to make money, and there are many ways to make cash out of your coinage. However, not all moneymaking schemes are created equal. Read on to learn all about the practical and fun ways you can spend to save up over time. Here are two ways to make money broken down: investing and gambling, with six ways total.
Investing is a more pragmatic means to an end. Although it isn’t a failsafe, it still offers some security – it’s just not as fun. Consider the following ways to invest money to make money:
1. High Yield Bonds – A high yield bond, or a certificate of deposit (CD), is a method of tying up money that results in earnings over time. A financial institute typically requires a starting balance to open a CD. The duration of deposit could be anywhere from a few months to several years depending on the investment of your choosing. Each CD offers a different compounded daily amount that accrues over the CD period.
2. Retirement Funds – Investing in your retirement may not payoff right away, but it’s a smart way to invest for the future. Types of retirement funds include 401K, IRA, Profit-Shares, Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs), and more.
3. Mutual Funds – A mutual fund is generally managed by a broker. It involves grouping your assets with a sum of funds from other investors. According to the Wall Street Journal, “The underlying logic of mutual funds is that they provide diverse investments — in stocks, bonds and cash — without requiring investors to make separate purchases and trades.”
Gambling, both literally and figuratively is slightly risky business, but the payoff can be huge. Plus, it’s a lot more thrilling than dealing with a stuffy broker. Consider the following ways to gamble money to make money:
4. The Lottery – Depending on how often you play, the lottery can be a fairly inexpensive way to gamble your money and possibly make money in the near future. Forbes notes, “the odds of winning the big jackpot are ridiculous (1 in 259 million for the Mega Millions lottery),” but that doesn’t mean you can’t try.
5. Online Gambling – Online gambling offers a better return on investment (ROI) than the lottery – plus it’s a lot more fun to play. The interactive aspect of gambling ensures you have more control over your fate. So play to win and your money just might grow.
6. The Stock Market – The stock market is definitely a figurative way to gamble. If you play it by yourself, there’s no assurance that you’ll win. There’s also no real guarantee that a broker can increase your returns either, but at least you can make an educated bet. According to CNN money, when you invest, you’ll want to differentiate stock decisions by, “company size (measured by market capitalization), sector, and types of growth patterns. Investors may talk about large-cap vs. small-cap stocks, energy vs. technology stocks, or growth vs. value stocks.”
How do you spend money to make money? What’s your favorite investment? Share your thoughts in the comments below.